Three Houses

the unofficial forum for British punk rock band SHARKS (2007-13) & its successors (THE VIOLENT HEARTS, 2014- & THEIR LONELY BETTERS, 2014-)
 
HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» new The Violent Hearts line-up and gig, The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham, 3/3/17
by museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 am

» The Computers
by museums Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

» new music from James Mattock: The Violent Hearts
by Fallen On Deaf Ears Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

» The Penalty EP - vinyl
by museums Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

» Their Lonely Betters
by gloveinhand Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 pm

» Starting Out! Looking for Anything and Everything.
by museums Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am

» The Penalty (lyrics)
by Admin Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 am

» Sharks t-shirt on cover of Jennifer Rostock's 'Schlaflos'
by museums Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 pm

» Sharks call it a day
by PJayBe Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:53 pm

» Looking to complete my collection...(HELP)
by orwellaintdead Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

» looking for..
by orwellaintdead Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm

» Dream Setlist?
by orwellaintdead Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:07 pm


Share | 
 

 How big a band are Sharks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 150
Join date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: How big a band are Sharks?   Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

When I heard that Sharks were supporting Tribes this spring, although Tribes have only got a debut album out as well and none of the history of Sharks, I wondered how big a band Sharks are.

Maybe the easiest way to look at this is by way of the number of Facebook likes, so here is a comparison using related bands:


The Clash 2,279,738

Social Distortion 714,859

The Gaslight Anthem 155,410

Gallows 100,981

Tribes 15,672

Sharks 13,891

Great Cynics 1,406


As for the Tribes and Sharks comparison, I assume most of Sharks' 'likes' are actually from North America, and that Tribes' are from the UK.



Back to top Go down
View user profile
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 150
Join date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am

museums wrote:
When I heard that Sharks were supporting Tribes this spring, although Tribes have only got a debut album out as well and none of the history of Sharks, I wondered how big a band Sharks are.

Maybe the easiest way to look at this is by way of the number of Facebook likes, so here is a comparison using related bands:


The Clash 2,279,738

Social Distortion 714,859

The Gaslight Anthem 155,410

Gallows 100,981

Tribes 15,672

Sharks 13,891

Great Cynics 1,406


As for the Tribes and Sharks comparison, I assume most of Sharks' 'likes' are actually from North America, and that Tribes' are from the UK.

FB 'likes' as of today

Tribes 19,811 (i.e. + 4,139)

Sharks 16,008 (i.e. + 2,117)

I'm just trying to judge what impact 'No Gods' has had and, to be honest, even looking at their Wikipedia page hits, it has been modest, despite the great reviews; why do people listen to so much rubbish instead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 am

People are so thick aren't they (just look at the current petrol situation).

The general public won't wake up to Sharks until someone from Radio 1 gets paid to do a voiceover on one of those annoying TV adverts saying"you need this album in your life" during a commercial break for X Factor or a mind numbing reality show. But more likely Patient Spider will get a lot of summer airplay and then the music zombies will start taking notice at last.

Tribes are just about ok / slightly good but really don't have ANYTHING like the amount of conviction or quality of songs that Sharks have so I really can't understand why they're a bigger band than Sharks. I guess it's got more to do with one of the Tribes guys are dating someone famous (I forget who) so they get covered in the gossip blogs / magazines. Tribes are just this years Vaccines (in my opinion)... pretty average festival fodder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EF
Trains
Trains
avatar

Posts : 9
Join date : 2012-02-13
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am

To be honest I quite like it how not many people know who Sharks are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://it-all-relates.tumblr.com/
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 am

EF wrote:
To be honest I quite like it how not many people know who Sharks are.

Yeah I kind of do too. Like a cool secret that not many people know about. They do deserve to be bigger though.
I see them getting kind of Gaslight Anthem big in the next year or two. Which is a really nice size / audience .
It's awesome seeing Sharks at small shows still. Like when they play hometown shows with no security or barrier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jagveer ///
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 124
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : London, England

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 pm

moreblue wrote:
EF wrote:
To be honest I quite like it how not many people know who Sharks are.

Yeah I kind of do too. Like a cool secret that not many people know about. They do deserve to be bigger though.
I see them getting kind of Gaslight Anthem big in the next year or two. Which is a really nice size / audience .
It's awesome seeing Sharks at small shows still. Like when they play hometown shows with no security or barrier.

I agree with this, it's like "our little thing". I definitely don't want them to stay a small small band though, A "big small" audience like Gaslight's would be awesome for them.

...Well it would be for me, anyway!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gloveinhand
Site Admin
Site Admin
avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Sharks now have 17,261 likes on facebook, so thats almost 4000 likes in 2 months..not bad!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://davidxstanley.tumblr.com
museums
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 150
Join date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

gloveinhand wrote:
Sharks now have 17,261 likes on facebook, so thats almost 4000 likes in 2 months..not bad!

Just for the usual comparison though, Tribes gained 5755 over the same period (they now have 21,427).

And I do wish the new album had gained us a few more forum members.

Frankly, that 'No Gods' didn't make the charts is a scandal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fallen On Deaf Ears
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 135
Join date : 2011-03-03
Age : 23
Location : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Tue May 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Quote :
And I do wish the new album had gained us a few more forum members.

Maybe we could get more people if we added 'other bands' and 'general discussion' to the forum categories? At least I would get more involved, it's not everyday you have something new to say about Sharks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuckyeahsharksband.tumblr.com/
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
avatar

Posts : 126
Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Fallen On Deaf Ears wrote:
Quote :
And I do wish the new album had gained us a few more forum members.

Maybe we could get more people if we added 'other bands' and 'general discussion' to the forum categories? At least I would get more involved, it's not everyday you have something new to say about Sharks.

Good idea. Done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sharks.userboard.net
Chappers_8
Trains
Trains
avatar

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 32
Location : Bodmin, Cornwall

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Can't believe how people aren't getting into Sharks. I have never listened to an album as much in such a short space of time as I have with No Gods
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chappers_8
Trains
Trains
avatar

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 32
Location : Bodmin, Cornwall

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 am

Sharks now up to 19,523 on FB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moreblue
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Sharks now at 21,948 on Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
orwellaintdead
It All Relates
It All Relates
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2012-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

They'll probably be one of those bands who'll never be big but people will look back to in 30 years or so and say they changed/shaped music/influenced lots of future bands. I hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How big a band are Sharks?   

Back to top Go down
 
How big a band are Sharks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Discworld Band?
» Furious Beards of Thrár (Dwarves band)
» Blue Band Pat.No.211
» New Gamer Red Band Clip - "It's Cool Yeah"
» AK's Take 3: Choice Band Conkeldurr, Bulky Hydreigon

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Three Houses :: Sharks :: General Discussion about Sharks-
Jump to: